Boston Maps Project

Annotations

Title

Annotations

Items in the Annotations Collection

The Boston Female Medical College was established in 1848, with its first class held on November 1st catering to 12 students. The goal of the college was to provide education for midwives, nurses and female physicians. In 1850, the “Female Medical…

In 1865 the publishing firm of Ticknor and Fields relocated to 124 Tremont Street on the corner of Hamilton Place, opposite the Park Street Church. It was here that the Atlantic Monthly and the North American Review were printed. After the withdrawal…

The Howard Athenaeum, later known as the Howard Theatre or simply the Old Howard, is one of the most famous theatres in Boston's history. The building itself was originally constructed in the early 1840s as a tabernacle, created to provide the…

Shortly after John Winthrop and the Puritans settled in Boston after their stay in Charlestown, they realized the importance of a connection between Boston and the mainland. In November 1630, the Massachusetts Court of Assistants, the colonial…

Fox Hill was a small hill on the shore of Back Bay at the foot of Boston Common and was estimated to be twenty feet above tide level. Although the shape and location of the hill steadily changed over time, it was always a source of sand for people…